MySQL News Announcements (2018)
1 June 2018 — MySQL Cluster 7.6 provides 99.9999% availability and performance improvements on the latest off the shelf hardware.
- MySQL Cluster's shared nothing architecture delivers an incredible 99.9999% availability and is used within the core of systems that serve billions of mobile phone users, leading online-games and high demand web services.
- MySQL Cluster 7.6 version is all about supporting and optimizing performance on the latest off the shelf hardware, increasing its ability to both scale up on ever performant hardware and scale out within and across data centers, while at the same time increasing ease of use and lowering maintenance overhead.
- MySQL Cluster's disk recovery system has undergone a complete redesign, dramatically improving restart and recovery times by up to 4x.
- New and improved parallel query processing runs distributed cross-shard (partitioned) joins often doubling performance.
19 April 2018 — MySQL adds NoSQL and many new enhancements to the world’s most popular open source database:
- NoSQL - Document Store gives developers the flexibility of developing traditional SQL relational applications and NoSQL, schema-free document database applications.
- SQL - Window functions, Common Table Expressions, NOWAIT and SKIP LOCKED, Descending Indexes, Grouping, Regular Expressions, Character Sets, Cost Model, and Histograms.
- JSON - Extended syntax, new functions, improved sorting, and partial updates. With JSON table functions you can use the SQL machinery for JSON data.
- GIS - Geography support. Spatial Reference Systems (SRS), as well as SRS aware spatial datatypes, spatial indexes, and spatial functions.
- Reliability - DDL statements have become atomic and crash safe, meta-data is stored in a single, transactional data dictionary
- Observability- Performance Schema, Information Schema, Invisible Indexes, Error Logging.
- Manageability - Persistent Configuration Variables, Undo tablespace management, Restart command, and New DDL.
- High Availability - InnoDB Cluster delivers an integrated, native, HA solution for your databases.
- Security - OpenSSL improvements, new default authentication, SQL Roles, breaking up the super privilege, password strength, authorization.
- Performance - Up to 2x faster than MySQL 5.7