MySQL in Government
Governments worldwide are one of the biggest consumers and spenders of IT. For example, the United States government is spending approximately $75 billion annually on over 6,000 separate IT investments. As part of the latest set of budget priorities, Steven van Roekel, the United States Federal Chief Information officer is asking federal local and state agencies to do "Do More with Less" to maximize the Return on Investment (ROI) of Federal IT.
At the same time governments have pledged to improve services by being more open and transparent with the mountains of valuable data they collect. As a result, governments are challenged with the seemingly impossible: improve and expand services while cutting costs.
Open Source in Government
Governments have taken the initiative to adopt an open source strategy in order to reduce costs, improve government data sharing, and return value to taxpayers. Not only are governments consumers of open source software but many projects are being contributed back to the open source community.
Governments worldwide as well as US federal, state and local governments are choosing MySQL as a cost-effective and easy to use solution to manage their data and develop new innovative applications. MySQL provides the following unique capabilities that make it the world's most popular open source database:
- Reduce Database TCO by 90+% - MySQL is budget friendly. Governments can save over 90% of their database costs by choosing MySQL over Microsoft SQL Server
- Easy to Use - Developers can get MySQL installed, configured and begin developing applications in less than 10 mintues so they can get applications to market faster
- Easy to Manage - MySQL doesn't require high cost specialized skills to manage. MySQL Developers and SysAdmins are able to manage MySQL
- High-Performance, Scalable & Reliable - 9 out of 10 of the most trafficked web sites in the world choose MySQL to power their business critical properties. Facebook manages 1 billion users with MySQL
- High Availability - MySQL offers a range of solutions for database high availability, to automatically detect and recover from failures - whether these occur at the network, host, OS or database layer - as well as minimize downtime resulting from scheduled maintenance activities
- MySQL Enterprise Security - MySQL Enterprise Edition provides with the ability to integrate MySQL with their existing security infrastructures including LDAP an Windows
- MySQL Enterprise Audit - MySQL Enterprise Audit is a policy-based auditing solution that helps organizations implement stronger security controls and satisfy regulatory compliance
- Huge Ecosystem - MySQL has a huge ecosystem of developers, DBAs and third party product providers that support MySQL, making it easy to find products, services and skilled people to develop and manage database applications
MySQL in Government Applications
- MySQL Customers in Government
- White Paper: A Guide to MySQL and Open Source in Government
- White Paper: MySQL Enterprise Edition Product Guide
- Demo: MySQL Enterprise Edition
- Demo: MySQL Cluster
- GSA Schedule Resellers: Mythics, ImmixGroup, DLT and BIAS Corp
- Contact Sales