MySQL Newsletter December 2008
Articles in this newsletter:
- White Paper: MySQL Query Analyzer
- White Paper: What's New in MySQL 5.1
- White Paper: MySQL 5.1 for ISV/OEM Solutions
- Case Study: Big Fish Games Triples Database Performance with MySQL Query Analyzer
- MySQL Query Analyzer - MySQL Enterprise Fall 2008 Release
- New Release of MySQL Server 5.1.30 (GA)
- New Release of MySQL Workbench OSS/SE 5.0.29 (GA)
- New Release of MySQL 6.0.8 (Alpha)
- New Release of MySQL Enterprise Server 5.0.72
- New Release of MySQL Connector/C++ 1.0.1 (Alpha)
- New Release of MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.5
- New Release of MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.27
- White Paper: MySQL Enterprise Monitor - What's New, Fall 2008 Release
- White Paper: Guide to MySQL 5.1 Partitioning
- White Paper: Creating an Open Source, Low Cost Carrier-Grade Service Execution Environment for SDPs
- White Paper: Web 2.0 Lessons for Communications Services Providers
- Article: Using the MySQL Pluggable API for TeamDrive
- Article: Using MySQL 5.1 for Data Warehousing/Business Intelligence Overview
- Article: Using Partitioning for Data Warehousing at TriTUX.com
- Article: Details of our MySQL Query Analyzer Use Case
- PlanetMySQL Blog Posts
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Less known SQL syntax and functions in MySQL
- PlanetMySQL Blog: How to calculate a good InnoDB log file size
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Why does MySQL Cluster takes so long for --initial?
- PlanetMySQL Blog: MySQL Connector/C++: compiling, using and debugging
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Your help is needed on the MySQL 5.1 Developer Exam
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Installing Memcached functions for MySQL
- Live Webinar: Boost Performance with 5.1 and Query Analyzer (January 7, 2009)
- Live Webinar: What's New? High Availability with DRBD for MySQL (January 8, 2009)
- Live Webinar: Designing Scalable File Systems with MogileFS and MySQL (January 13, 2009)
- Live Webinar: Web 2.0 Lessons for Communications Services Providers (January 14, 2009)
- Live Webinar: SailFin/MySQL Cluster (January 21, 2009)
- Live Webinar: Scaling MySQL.com with Query Analyzer & Memcached (January 22, 2009)
- New MySQL Italian Webinars on Demand
- MySQL Mini-conference in FOSDEM - Submit Your Proposal Now
- Take the Memcached Quickpoll
- Training: MySQL for Database Administrators (5 Days)
- Consulting: MySQL Scale-Out, High-Availability and Replication Jumpstart (4+ Days)
- On-Demand Webinar: Case Study - How Entuity, a Jasper for MySQL Customer, Embeds High-Performance Reporting in its Network Management Solutions
- Sun NetBeans IDE 6.5 Now Available for Download - Simplify your MySQL Development
The MySQL Query Analyzer helps developers and DBAs improve application performance by monitoring query performance and accurately pinpointing SQL code that is causing a slow down. This paper explores common use cases and challenges faced by MySQL developers and DBAs in tuning SQL code. It also introduces the new MySQL Query Analyzer and explains how it can be used to optimize queries during development and then to monitor applications in production environments.
Read the English White Paper » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql-query-analyzer-overview/)
Read the German White Paper » (http://www.mysql.de/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql-query-analyzer-uberblick/)
MySQL 5.1 provides more enterprise-caliber enhancements that greatly assist those wanting to use MySQL for data warehousing and business intelligence, applications having extreme high-availability requirements, and systems needing a powerful but autonomous-running database that requires little attention to continually service thousands of user requests per second. This white paper covers these enhancements in detail.
Read the English White Paper » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/whatsnew-mysql-51.php)
Read the German White Paper » (http://www.mysql.de/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_inside51.php.de)
Read the French White Paper » (http://www.mysql.fr/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_newin51.php.fr)
MySQL 5.1 is particularly appealing to ISV (Independent Software Vendors) and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) solution providers who need to embed a database within the application that they either sell in traditional manner or use in a software-as-a-service fashion. Of course, product managers and other decision makers will be pleased from a business standpoint with the lower total cost of ownership that MySQL supplies, with costs being traditionally only 10-15% of what proprietary database vendors charge.
Read the White Paper » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_51_OEM.php)
Big Fish Games is a global leader in the online games industry, with over 25 million unique customer accounts and over 2.5 million visitors per month. With the MySQL Query Analyzer, Big Fish Games was able to identify and analyze problematic SQL code, and tripled its database performance within three days, rather than weeks.
Read the Case Study » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/case-studies/bigfishgames.html)
This latest release adds new advanced query analysis and best practice advisor rules. The new feature set includes:
- New MySQL Query Analyzer allows you to improve application performance by quickly identifying and fixing problem queries.
- New Advisor Rules enable DBAs to implement more MySQL best practices relating to administration, security and performance.
Read the White Paper, MySQL Enterprise Monitor: What's New, Fall 2008 Release » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/EnterpriseMonitor_20_Whats_New_Fall08.php)
Sign-up for 30-day MySQL Enterprise Trial » (http://www.mysql.com/trials/)
We are proud to present to you the MySQL Server 5.1.30 GA release, the first 5.1 production version of the popular open source database. MySQL 5.1.30 is recommended for use on production systems.
MySQL 5.1 provides a number of new enhancements including:
- Table and index partitioning
- Row-based and mixed replication
- Built-in job scheduler
- Improved XML handling with XPath support
- New SQL diagnostic aids and performance utilities
- The return of the embedded library (libmysqld)
This release is a quick follow-up to 5.0.28 where we fixed a serious bug that slipped through our tests in last release on 12/06/2008. Also, the windows installer was missing some additional icon files which are now included.
MySQL 6.0.8-alpha, a new version of the MySQL database system has been released. Changes include:
- Incompatible Change: The tables for MySQL Backup logging have been renamed, and the logging capabilities now are more flexible, similar to the capabilities provided for the general query log and slow query log.
- Important Change: The '--skip-thread-priority' option is now deprecated in MySQL 5.1 and is removed in MySQL 6.0 such that the server won't change the thread priorities by default. (Bug #35164, Bug #37536)
MySQL 5.0.72 Enterprise Server, a new version of the popular Open Source Database Management System, has been released. This new version represents the latest release of the MySQL Enterprise Server and serves as the upgrade path for those customers who have previously standardized on the most recent MySQL Enterprise Server, version 5.0.70.
A new version of MySQL Connector/C++ has been made available: MySQL Connector/C++ 1.0.1alpha. The MySQL Connector/C++ provides a C++ API for connecting client applications to the MySQL Server. The MySQL Connector/C++ mimics the JDBC 4.0 API. Using MySQL Connector/C++ instead of the MySQL C API (MySQL Client Library) offers the following advantages for C++ users:
- Convenience of pure C++ - no C function calls
- Support of a well designed API - JDBC 4.0
- Support of a commonly known and well documented API - JDBC 4.0
- Support of the object oriented programming paradigma
- Shorter development times
MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.5, a new version of the all-managed .NET driver for MySQL has been released. This release is of GA quality and is suitable for use in production environments. Changes include:
- Fixed problem with package registration that kept the DDEX provider from working. (Bug #40726)
MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.27, a new version of the ODBC driver for the MySQL database management system, has been released. This release is the latest release of the 3.51 series and is suitable for use with any MySQL version including MySQL 4.1, 5.0, or 5.1. Fixes include:
- Cannot use ssl (Bug #29955)
- Enable auto reconnect doesn't work (Bug #37179)
- Add read and write timeouts on the connection (Bug #40407)
This document highlights the new features that are included in the MySQL Enterprise Fall 2008 Release. This release adds new features that are designed to alleviate common pain points for DBAs and developers who use the advanced features of the MySQL server to build, maintain and scale their on-line applications, including new MySQL Query Analyzer and new Advisor Rules.
Read the English White Paper » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/EnterpriseMonitor_20_Whats_New_Fall08.php)
Read the German White Paper » (http://www.mysql.de/why-mysql/white-papers/EnterpriseMonitor_20_Whats_New_Fall08.php.de )
Read the French White Paper » (http://www.mysql.fr/why-mysql/white-papers/EnterpriseMonitor_20_Whats_New_Fall08.php)
Partitioning is a physical database design technique that many data modelers and DBAs are quite familiar with. Partitioning allows large objects within a database to be split into small, more manageable pieces. There are a number of benefits that come with partitioning, but the two main advantages are increased performance and simplified data management. Learn more about how MySQL 5.1 supports all the major forms of partitioning; Range, Hash, Key, List and Composite.
Read the White Paper » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_partitioning.php)
Investments in Service Delivery Platforms (SDPs) represent one of the most important strategic decisions Communication Service Providers (CSPs) will make as they attempt to unlock the opportunity presented by network convergence. This new whitepaper describes how the Sun GlassFish Communications Server, developed under the SailFin project, and MySQL Cluster Carrier Grade Edition enable CSPs to cost-effectively address the core requirements of SDP deployments in the delivery of new services over converged networks.
Read the White Paper » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_cg_service_execution_environment.php)
We are offering you a two part whitepaper comparing the approaches and attitudes of the Web 2.0 industry and the Communications industry, as well as outlining the changes that Communications Service Providers and Network Equipment Providers should embrace if they want to win in the new converged marketplace. This whitepaper helps you better understand why time to market, rapid & cost-effective innovation, creating a large user community and converting users into customers are examples of key competencies to master.
Read this White Paper » (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_web20fortelco.php)
TeamDrive Systems provides smart collaboration software, a scalable platform and Internet services, which enable users to build millions of micro-social networks and/or virtualize their own documents to share (sync) among their personal devices as well as among their friends.
Read the Article »
Breadboard BI provides affordable business intelligence (BI), data integration, and general software application development consulting. We also offer a suite of customizable BI modules that form a modular and scalable enterprise solution. Our mission is to provide products and service that enable companies to reduce costs, improve sales, and satisfy regulatory requirements.
Read the Article »
TriTUX is based in Tunis, Tunisia. Founded in 2006 as Systems Analysis and Weblication Development, TriTUX is providing high-quality professional services for achieving flexible, creative and scalable systems. TriTUX engineers is a team of jack-of-all-trades, possessing intimate knowledge in networking, eXtreme programming, GNU/Linux and scalable solutions.
Read the Article »
Last week I was interviewed by Charlie Babcock from InformationWeek about the MySQL Query Analyzer. I love tools that provide immediate, actionable information, and the Query Analyzer is just that.
The following blog posts are from PlanetMySQL. PlanetMySQL is an aggregation of blogs and news from MySQL developers, users and employees. It is an excellent source of all things about MySQL, including technical tips and best practices.
"Standard SQL" is something you read about. All popular databases have modified version of SQL. Each database adds its own flavor and features to the standard. MySQL is no different.
Peter wrote a post a while ago about choosing a good InnoDB log file size. Not to pick on Peter, but the post actually kind of talks about a lot of things and then doesn't tell you how to choose a good log file size! So I thought I'd clarify it a little.
This week we had a very interesting problem at a customer: They complained, that their MySQL Cluster takes about 1 hour for a --initial start-up. After some tuning on the hardware and the config.ini they brought it down to around 40 minutes. But this is still unacceptable long...
It sounds like a strong argument when a developer states that his company is using its own products, like "MySQL Workbench is using MySQL Connector/C++" or "Connector/OpenOffice.org is based on Connector/C++". But at the end of the day you will need to try out the product yourself. You need to evaluate if its any good for you.
The news of the MySQL 5.1 GA announcement brought many emails asking about the 5.1 exams. First, let me state that if you are studying for any 5.0 exam please keep on with your plans. The 5.1 DBA test is inching closer to alpha test and will not suddenly pop up without warning. It is on the way but most of you will not get to see it until well into 2009.
tangent.org provide a memcached client for MySQL, in the form of UDFs. The provided set of functions allow for connecting to a memcached server, putting values in the cache, getting values, invalidating, utilizing increments etc.
Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 10:00am PST
Join this webinar to learn how MySQL Enterprise now delivers higher performance for large-scale enterprise applications through Partitioning and Row-Based Replication - as well as the ability to further optimize database performance and manage scale with Query Analyzer, a must-have tool for DBAs and developers to identify and analyze problem SQL code causing performance issues and slow downs.
Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 10:00am PST
Join us for this informative technical webinar presented by Florian Haas, Senior Consultant at Linbit, the company behind the high availability solution DRBD. In this webinar, Florian will discuss the new features in DRBD 8.3, including support for multi-Terabyte devices, device stacking, efficient resynchronization, plus the recently added Dolphin Express low-latency interconnect support.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:00am PST
Join us for this informative technical webinar with Alan Kasindorf (aka dormando) as he discusses in detail the highly scalable MogileFS backed by MySQL. MogileFS is an open source file system that enables the horizontal scaling of storage across many machines so that no data is lost despite machine or drive failures. MogileFS is currently used by high volume applications and websites like LiveJournal, Digg and Veoh. If you've been looking for a scalable, open source file system, this webinar is for you.
Tuesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:00am PST
In this webinar we compare the approaches and attitudes of the Web 2.0 industry and the Communications industry, as well as outlining the changes that CSPs and NEPs should embrace if they want to win in the new converged marketplace.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 9:30am PST
In this webinar we explore how the Sun GlassFish Communications Server, developed under the SailFin project, and MySQL Cluster Carrier Grade Edition enables Communication Service Providers (CSPs) to cost-effectively address the core requirements of Service Delivery Platform (SDP) deployments in the delivery of new services over converged networks.
Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 2:00pm PST
Join us for this informative technical webinar presented by Adam Donnison, System Administrator and Senior Web Developer at MySQL.com. In this presentation, we'll learn how memcached, replication and load balancing has been implemented to help overcome scalability issues and deliver 20 million pages to 3 million unique visitors every month. Adam will also discuss some lessons learned while migrating the site from 5.0 to 5.1. Finally, we'll take a look at how MySQL Query Analyzer was used to identify bottlenecks and query tuning opportunities which yielded orders of magnitude in improvements on several queries.
We have done many webinars in these months with good attendance. While thanking everyone for participating, it's our pleasure to announce that now everything has been published and available on demand. You can download a webinar and watch it offline in case you have missed it or you like to view it again.
FOSDEM will take place on February 7-8, 2009 in Brussels, Belgium. The MySQL Developer Room will be open on Sunday, 8th of February, from 9:00 to 17:00. We would like to set up a schedule of talks related to MySQL. As the audience will mostly be developers and DBAs, we are looking for in-depth technical sessions about the MySQL Server and related projects/tools. The deadline for proposing a talk is January 15th, 2009.
What features or enhancements would you most like to see in Memcached? Take the latest quickpoll to share your opinion.
Montreal, Singapore, Denver, Milan
An Authorized MySQL instructor will teach you how to properly install MySQL, create and execute Backup Strategies, create secure Stored Procedures to update and access data and more!
This instructor led, hands-on class will teach you how to secure users privileges, set resource limitations, and access controls. In addition, you will learn multiple 5.0 features such as creating and using Stored Procedures, Triggers and Views.
Register Now for an Upcoming Date » (http://www.mysql.com/training/workshops/mysql_dba.html)
A dedicated MySQL certified consultants will work closely with your team to:
- Analyze your current database infrastructure
- Analyze your Scale-out and High-Availability database requirements
- Identify potential issues and limitations
- Install, configure and fine-tune MySQL
- Configure MySQL or MySQL Cluster to work with HA Technologies (such as DRBD, SAN, Shared SCSI, and Heartbeat), as required
- Secure your database environment against failures and downtime
- Benchmark and load test against sample queries
- Recommend a Scale-Out and High Availability architecture specific to your application that optimizes availability, fault-tolerance, and performance
Learn More » (http://www.mysql.com/consulting/packaged/scaleout.html)
On-Demand Webinar: Case Study - How Entuity, a Jasper for MySQL Customer, Embeds High-Performance Reporting in its Network Management Solutions
This webinar shows how and why network management solutions provider Entuity chose and implemented Jasper for MySQL OEM, the reporting product created by commercial open source business intelligence leader JasperSoft and licensed by Sun Microsystems. The solution integrates interactive report design, security, and scheduling capabilities within Entuity's flagship Eye of the Storm® network management solution.